FAQ’s for Landlords

Do you take a damage deposit?

Yes. At Filtons estate agents for every tenancy, we will always take a damage deposit. The damage deposit taken from the tenants will be agreed in advance between us and the landlord.

Do I need a Gas/Electrical safety certificate for my property?

If there is a gas supply to your property or if it has a gas appliance before your property is let you must have a valid gas safety certificate (CP12). Gas safety certificates are valid for 12 months and are issued by qualified Gas Safe registered engineers. A valid copy of the certificate must be passed onto your tenants. As your agents we can arrange for a gas safety certificate to be done on your behalf.

Unlike gas regulations, there is no law that says you must have a landlord electrical safety certificate. But, should any electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could be held liable. Therefore, although it is not compulsory that you have a valid electrical safety certificate as your agent for your peace of mind we recommend that you get one done.

Do I need an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) for my property?

Yes. Before marketing your property, you must have an EPC. An EPC is valid for 10 years and if you don’t already have one this is something as your agent we can arrange for you.

How do you advertise and promote my property?

At Filtons we will advertise your property online on our own modern website along with other various forms of advertising. We will also send out specific email marketing campaigns as well as calling through our applicants on our books to try and reach as many potential tenants as possible.

Do you reference tenants?

Yes. Filtons organises in-depth referencing checks that are carried out by a specialist referencing company in an effort to ensure that the tenant is going to pay their rent to you on time but also look after your property as you would expect them to.

Does Filtons provide the tenancy agreement?

Yes. Our standard tenancy agreement is professionally prepared by solicitors who are specialist in landlord and tenant law. They have continuously renewed as and when new legislation is introduced. We have the ability to insert bespoke clauses which are relevant to your property and any requirements you may have.

Should I let my property furnished or unfurnished?

This decision comes down to the landlord’s personal preference, most tenants will prefer the property let unfurnished as they will more than likely have furniture of their own that they will want to bring with them.

Renting your property furnished also opens the landlord up to further legislation, by supplying sofas, tables etc. you then have to make sure they comply with Fire Safety Regulations. The landlord then also has to repair and maintain furnishings supplied.

Should I have a photographic inventory?

Yes. A photographic inventory is an extremely important tool when it comes to potential deposit disputes at the end of the tenancy. An Inventory creates a detailed condition report of your property where meter readings will also be taken and a key audit will be done. On the signing of the tenancy, the tenants will be asked to agree with the photo inventory by signing a copy. As your agent, this is something we can arrange for you and it is strongly recommended as it is the document that provides the basis of assessment, allowing for fair wear and tear, of any damage or dilapidation costs to be deducted from the damage deposit.

Do I need to supply Smoke Alarms or Carbon Monoxide Alarms?

Yes. From the 1st October, 2015 regulation changes require smoke alarms to be installed in rented residential accommodation and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with a solid fuel appliance.

Our Partners

Get in touch

Contact our friendly sales & lettings team

Filtons Stratford Ltd

190 High Street, Stratford, E15 2NE

T 0203 095 0955
E office@filtons.com